Donna Greenberg is a unique and stylistically versatile vocalist with a deep love of music. Her vocal precision, warmth, musicality, and dramatic flair are always evident in her heartfelt performance. She studied voice at the Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto, and has performed in both classical and jazz styles.
Donna is not only a singer but also a songwriter/composer and lyricist, with a degree in English literature (University of Toronto) and with extensive background in music theory and composition (Royal Conservatory of Music Toronto). She has composed music and lyrics for a number of classical and jazz vocal works. Her varied musical influences include opera, musical theatre, liturgical music, musical theatre, and jazz.
Donna’s first serious foray into jazz began with a one-woman show A TRIBUTE TO GERSHWIN, PORTER, AND RODGERS, which she wrote, sang, and danced. Inspired by the GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK, she decided in 2008 to devote herself more to jazz and cabaret music, which has led to singing engagements in restaurants and clubs, at events, and on television, radio, and internet.
Donna has produced six CDs to date.
- Stranger (2010) features mainly jazz standards, though with three originals.
- Mav’rik (2011) presents original songs in various styles and genres: jazz, swing, tango, bossa nova, salsa, lullaby, and Celtic folk.
- Song in the Wind (2012) showcases original soulful songs of love, joy, and sorrow.
- Burnt…and Toasted! (2013) highlights all the original songs from a one-woman theatrical production of the same name created by Donna and presented at The Toronto Fringe Festival in 2013.
- Stuck on You (2017) is devoted entirely to jazz originals, including ballads, swing, bossa nova, and upbeat pieces. Nine of the songs have been arranged for jazz trio by jazz pianist/arranger Mark Kieswetter.
- Love Songs of James Joyce (2017) is a “song cycle” set to poems from Chamber Music (1907), an early poetry collection by the famous Irish writer James Joyce (1882-1941). In imitation of the song cycle properly belonging to classical music, this cycle was created by carefully selecting thirteen otherwise unrelated poems from this collection and combining them so as to form a coherent whole that loosely tells a story, in this case, a story of unrequited love, with original music composed by Donna and arranged by Mark Kieswetter.
- Donna has recorded “Baris Standith” (The Barley Stands), a Gothic-language song written by Canadian composer Edmund Fairfax. This is a two-part a cappella arrangement. A choir-effect was created by superimposing multiple tracks of Donna singing both parts.
Donna has produced five music videos to date.
- Reflections (2017) A music video to an original song by Donna Greenberg, from her newest jazz CD STUCK ON YOU (2017). The video was created by Duygu Basmaci. WINNER Best Music Video Award & Audience Award Winner Third Runner-Up at The Cutting Edge International Film Festival 2017. WINNER Best Music Video of the Month Award at Direct Monthly Online Film Festival December 2017.
- Don’t Try to Change My Mind (2017) A music video to an original song by Donna Greenberg, from her newest jazz CD STUCK ON YOU (2017). The video was created by David Rawlings. Best Music Video Nomination at The Cutting Edge International Film Festival 2017. Official Selection at the Direct Monthly Online Film Festival. WINNER Best Music Video Gold Award at The Mindfield Film Festival 2017.
- My Love is in a Light Attire (2017) A music video to an original song composed & sung by Donna Greenberg from her album LOVE SONGS OF JAMES JOYCE. This album is a “song cycle” set to poems from CHAMBER MUSIC (1907), an early poetry collection by the famous Irish writer James Joyce (1882-1941). The video was created by Duygu Basmaci. Audience Award Winner Second Runner-Up at The Cutting Edge International Film Festival 2017. Official Selection at the Direct Monthly Online Film Festival. WINNER Best Music Video Platinum Award at The Mindfield Film Festival 2017.
- You’re My Summer Peach (2017) Sweet, flirtatious & fun – an upbeat swing song great to dance to! A music video to an original song with lyrics & music by Donna Greenberg & Jordan Klapman from her newest jazz CD STUCK ON YOU (2017). Sung by Donna Greenberg with Mark Kieswetter (arrangement/piano), Jordan O’Connor (bass), Ben Riley (drums) & David Rawlings (video). Official Selection at the Direct Monthly Online Film Festival.
- Stranger (2017) A song, a tango—sultry passion! And now a music video (from the CD SONG IN THE WIND (2013). Donna Greenberg (lyrics, music, vocals), Jordan Klapman (arrangement, piano), Kevin Laliberté (guitar), Tony Quarrington (guitar), Ross MacIntyre (bass), Glenn Anderson (drums), Tom Skublics (flute)
Donna Greenberg (director, producer), Edmund Fairfax (assistant director), David Rawlings (videographer).