Donna Greenberg is a unique and stylistically versatile vocalist with a deep love of music. Her vocal precision, warmth, musicality, and dramatic flair are always evident in her heartfelt performance. She studied voice at the Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto, and has performed in both classical and jazz styles.
Donna is not only a singer but also a songwriter/composer and lyricist, with a degree in English literature (University of Toronto) and with extensive background in music theory and composition (Royal Conservatory of Music Toronto). She has composed music and lyrics for a number of classical and jazz vocal works. Her varied musical influences include opera, musical theatre, liturgical music, musical theatre, and jazz.
Donna’s first serious foray into jazz began with a one-woman show A TRIBUTE TO GERSHWIN, PORTER, AND RODGERS, which she wrote, sang, and danced. Inspired by the GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK, she decided in 2008 to devote herself more to jazz and cabaret music, which has led to singing engagements in restaurants and clubs, at events, and on television, radio, and internet.
Donna has produced six CDs to date.
- Stranger (2010) features mainly jazz standards, though with three originals.
- Mav’rik (2011) presents original songs in various styles and genres: jazz, swing, tango, bossa nova, salsa, lullaby, and Celtic folk.
- Song in the Wind (2012) showcases original soulful songs of love, joy, and sorrow.
- Burnt…and Toasted! (2013) highlights all the original songs from a one-woman theatrical production of the same name created by Donna and presented at The Toronto Fringe Festival in 2013.
- Stuck on You (2017) is devoted entirely to jazz originals, including ballads, swing, bossa nova, and upbeat pieces. Nine of the songs have been arranged for jazz trio by jazz pianist/arranger Mark Kieswetter.
- Love Songs of James Joyce (2017) is a “song cycle” set to poems from Chamber Music (1907), an early poetry collection by the famous Irish writer James Joyce (1882-1941). In imitation of the song cycle properly belonging to classical music, this cycle was created by carefully selecting thirteen otherwise unrelated poems from this collection and combining them so as to form a coherent whole that loosely tells a story, in this case, a story of unrequited love, with original music composed by Donna and arranged by Mark Kieswetter.
- Donna has recorded “Baris Standith” (The Barley Stands), a Gothic-language song written by Canadian composer Edmund Fairfax. This is a two-part a cappella arrangement. A choir-effect was created by superimposing multiple tracks of Donna singing both parts.
Donna has produced eight music videos to date.
- Reflections (2017) A music video to an original song by Donna Greenberg, from her newest jazz CD STUCK ON YOU (2017). The video was created by Duygu Basmaci. WINNER Best Music Video Award & Audience Award Winner Third Runner-Up at The Cutting Edge International Film Festival 2017. WINNER Best Music Video of the Month Award at The Direct Monthly Online Film Festival December 2017.
- Don’t Try to Change My Mind (2017) A music video to an original song by Donna Greenberg, from her newest jazz CD STUCK ON YOU (2017). The video was created by David Rawlings. Best Music Video Nomination at The Cutting Edge International Film Festival 2017. Official Selection at The Direct Monthly Online Film Festival. WINNER Best Music Video Gold Award at The Mindfield Film Festival 2017.
- My Love is in a Light Attire (2017) A music video to an original song composed & sung by Donna Greenberg from her album LOVE SONGS OF JAMES JOYCE. This album is a “song cycle” set to poems from CHAMBER MUSIC (1907), an early poetry collection by the famous Irish writer James Joyce (1882-1941). The video was created by Duygu Basmaci. Audience Award Winner Second Runner-Up at The Cutting Edge International Film Festival 2017. Official Selection at The Direct Monthly Online Film Festival. WINNER Best Music Video Platinum Award at The Mindfield Film Festival 2017.
- You’re My Summer Peach (2017) Sweet, flirtatious & fun – an upbeat swing song great to dance to! A music video to an original song with lyrics & music by Donna Greenberg & Jordan Klapman from her newest jazz CD STUCK ON YOU (2017). Sung by Donna Greenberg with Mark Kieswetter (arrangement/piano), Jordan O’Connor (bass), Ben Riley (drums) & David Rawlings (video). Official Selection at The Direct Monthly Online Film Festival 2017. Official Selection at The Mindfield Film Festival 2017.
- Stranger (2017) A song, a tango—sultry passion! And now a music video (from the CD SONG IN THE WIND (2013). Donna Greenberg (lyrics, music, vocals), Jordan Klapman (arrangement, piano), Kevin Laliberté (guitar), Tony Quarrington (guitar), Ross MacIntyre (bass), Glenn Anderson (drums), Tom Skublics (flute)
Donna Greenberg (director, producer), Edmund Fairfax (assistant director), David Rawlings (videographer). Official Selection at The Direct Monthly Online Film Festival 2018.
- Living on the Outside (2017) “Not me, I’m lost, almost invisible….” Alienation, loneliness, angst – “Living on the Outside”, a music video that gives voice to existential despair. This song is from the CD “Song in the Wind” (2012, Toronto). Donna Greenberg lyrics/music, vocals, Jordan Klapman harmonization/arrangement, piano, Drew Jurecka string arrangement, violin, viola & clarinet, Ross McIntyre bass Glenn Anderson drums, Director/Producer Donna Greenberg, Assistant Director Edmund Fairfax and Video David Rawlings. WINNER Award of Recognition at The Best Shorts Competition 2018. Official Selection at The Direct Monthly Online Film Festival 2018.
- Angel Eyes (2018) “Angel Eyes, a torch song made video: thwarted desire, betrayal, abandonment, and obsession, passion without release, loneliness and frustration. Donna Greenberg vocals, Jordan Klapman piano, Jack Zorawski bass, Kevin Laliberte guitar, Igor Babich saxophone, and Glenn Anderson drums, Director/Producer Donna Greenberg, Assistant Director, Edmund Fairfax and Video Duygu Basmaci.
- The Twilight (2018) James Joyce Lovers! Here’s a classical song with a jazz touch! “The Twilight” is the second song from the album Love Songs of James Joyce, a “song cycle” set to poems from Chamber Music (1907), an early poetry collection by the famous Irish writer James Joyce (1882-1941): Donna Greenberg (composer/vocals), Mark Kieswetter (arrangement/piano), and Jordan O’Connor (bass). Donna Greenberg (director/producer), Edmund Fairfax (assistant director) and David Rawlings(video). Official Selection at The Direct Monthly Online Film Festival 2018.
- Noche en el Paraiso (2018) A Night in Paradise! Lush, and passionate – a video of one of the songs from my CD “Song in the Wind”. Donna Greenberg (lyrics, music, vocals), Jordan Klapman (arrangement, piano), Kevin Laliberté (guitar), Tony Quarrington (guitar), Ross MacIntyre (bass), Glenn Anderson (drums), Tom Skublics (flute), Donna Greenberg (director, producer), Edmund Fairfax (assistant director), David Rawlings (videographer).
HERE’S THE BUZZ…
“interesting accessible music…her songs complement her voice perfectly…the vocal and piano performances are extremely musical…Greenberg’s song cycle is moving, smart and lyrical.”
David Olds, THE WHOLENOTE, Nov. 2017
“Passion for her music, passion for life, passion for mankind. Not to mention her hauntingly beautiful vocals.
Sandy Graham, CASHBOX CANADA
“…songs of love, life and sorrow. Greenberg’s clear voice enhances her songs with a vocal range and talent that is undeniable. Greenberg is a modern Frank Sinatra with a glamorized twist.”
Amelia Naismith, PONOKA NEWS, Ponoka, Alberta
“The magic of Greenberg’s voice is that it feels like she’s singing to you and only you. There’s an intimacy to these songs that is rare in this day and age- something precious to be savored and enjoyed….”
John Kereiff, GONZO MAGAZINE, Lloydminster, Alberta
“Canadian recording artist Donna Greenberg has one hell of a sexy voice. Her words are deliberate, spoken in a whiskey coated way that’s as sweet and slow as thick honey being poured from a jar. And when this lady sings the blues and the soulful sounds of jazz, the same honey-rich goodness flows, coming from a place that’s as deep and complex as the artist. It’s no wonder she chose jazz, and the romance of the standards as her favourite music styles.”
Maureen Scott, MISSISSAUGA NEWS, Mississauga, Ontario
“A voice that caresses a lyric.”
Michael Bongard, THE LATIN TRAIN, CHUO 89.1 FM, Ottawa, Ontario
New Canadian Music
Canadian Jewish News http://www.cjnews.com/arts/singer-makes-multicultural-music
The Canadian http://www.thecanadiandaily.ca/donna-greenbergs-critically-acclaimed-cd-song-in-the-wind/
Music Arts Monthly, 50djs50states.com, Illuminati 2G, It’s Psychedelic Baby, Yeah I Know It Sucks
R&B Rhythms, Las Vegas
Jazz Café, Camoes Radio, Toronto, ON
HERE’S THE AIRPLAY…
In Canada: Latin Train, Ottawa, ON, CAPR, Sydney, NS, CHSR, Fredericton, NB, CSKY, St. Ann de Bellevue, QC, CFLX, Sherbrooke, QC, CFMU, Hamilton, ON, CJUM, Winnipeg, MB, CITR, Vancouver, BC, Canoe FM, Haliburton, ON, CIBN, Buffalo Narrows, SK, CFAD/Salmo FM, Salmo, BC, CKSJ/The Coast 101, St. John’s, NF, Skyjazz Radio, Oshawa, ON, CIAO, Toronto, ON, Camoes Radio, Toronto, ON, Calm Radio, Toronto ON, Radio Relaxo
In United States: WDGP Radio, Au’L Jazz, Artist First World Radio Network, Soul Survivor Radio, SkyJazz Internet Radio, WJMX-DB Smooth Jazz Boston, KCCK 88.3 FM- Kirkwood, Radio Crystal Blue, EBS Media Company, The Samcast Network
Internationally: Bob Birch Radio, Jango Radio, The Independent Music Show, NBT Music Radio, NBT Music Radio, Radio South Tyneside, World F M Tawal New Zealand, GloTIMEradio, Venture Radio, Wyrelite Radio, County Linx Radio, RFTKRadio, Medway Sound, Virginia Music.